You spend plenty of time researching things like a new car, trending “must-haves”, and even restaurants. When it comes to dental coverage, are you putting in the same effort?
Choosing a dental plan in Hawaii may feel overwhelming, but we are here to help! Keep reading for tips on how to pick the perfect dental care plan for you.
How to choose your perfect dental plan
Like many projects in life, it is usually easier to break them down into small steps. Choosing dental insurance that fits you and your family’s needs is no different. Follow the tips below to find the right plan for you.
- Research dental insurance options in Hawaii
- Before picking an insurance company it’s important to check out its history and reputation. Make sure that the company you choose is established and provides quality, local customer service.
- Check access to quality dentists
- Having a high-quality, local dentist that is not far away is important. Be sure to check the dental insurance company’s network of dentists. You will want to select one that has a large network of dentists across Hawaii and the U.S. Mainland. HDS partners with more than 95% of all licensed dentists in Hawaii.
- Routine dentist visits should be covered
- Quality dental insurance companies understand the importance of routine dental checkups. Visiting the dentist twice a year positively impacts your oral and overall health. Be sure your company provides 100% coverage for these visits.
- Consider the cost savings
- Without insurance dental procedures can quickly add up. Dental insurance helps you take control of your expenses and pay less out-of-pocket for major and minor services.
After considering the above it is time to select your dental insurance company. Hawaii Dental Service (HDS) has been serving the island communities since 1962, has the largest network of dentists across the islands and U.S. Mainland, and has a variety of plans that fit any budget.
Dental coverage with Medicaid or Medicare in Hawaii
Retirement is an exciting time but can also be a time of uncertainty when it comes to dental care. Losing coverage, finding the right plan for your specific needs, and balancing costs can be stressful for many retirement-aged individuals.
In Hawaii, one in five adults is 65 years of age or older. As the older population continues to increase there will be a rise in people needing dental coverage through other means. For many, this may include government support programs such as Medicaid or Medicare.
If you have Medicaid, you are eligible to receive dental benefits through HDS Medicaid. Our program can help you find a dentist and schedule an appointment to keep your mouth and teeth healthy. Please call our partner, Community Case Management Corp. at 808-792-1070 or toll-free at 1-888-792-1070.
HDS also partners with WellCare by Ohana Health Plan, AlohaCare, and Kaiser Permanente to provide dental benefits for their Medicare Advantage plans. For more information, please visit HawaiiDentalService.com or call 808-529-9248.
Take care of your smile with dental insurance
Investing in dental insurance is investing in your oral and overall health. In addition to seeing your dentist twice a year for routine cleanings, it’s important to maintain a good oral health routine and focus on healthy habits. With these three actions combined your teeth and smile will stay healthy and strong, no matter your age.
- For more information about Hawaii Dental Service please visit our site.
- Click here for plan information.